For years I felt different than others. I always just wanted to be alone and just really struggled with close relationships. I’m not antisocial or anything but I just prefer my own company and I like just doing my thing and mind my own business. It doesn’t bother me for a few reasons but for the most part I also have paranoid personality disorder too so I’m always suspicious of everyone even those I love. But I’ll save that for another post.
So I have odd thoughts and behaviour and keep to myself for the most part. Odd thoughts like people are going to kill me, or thinking I can fly or something like that. My thoughts can be very dangerous and my head is my worst enemy. Sometimes I feel empty, or blank or whatever. I may not show emotion or understand other’s. I’m not dangerous , I’m not a murderer I just don’t like being around people. I may talk in a way thats not the normal talk , whatever that means. This disorder is often misunderstood as it features many symptoms similar to other conditions. Below I will educate and explain the disorder and bring awareness.
People with schizotypal personality disorder are often described as odd or eccentric and usually have few, if any, close relationships. They generally don’t understand how relationships form or the impact of their behavior on others. They may also misinterpret others’ motivations and behaviors and develop significant distrust of others.
Schizotypal personality disorder typically includes five or more of these signs and symptoms:
- Being a loner and lacking close friends outside of the immediate family
- Flat emotions or limited or inappropriate emotional responses
- Persistent and excessive social anxiety
- Incorrect interpretation of events, such as a feeling that something that is actually harmless or inoffensive has a direct personal meaning
- Peculiar, eccentric or unusual thinking, beliefs or mannerisms
- Suspicious or paranoid thoughts and constant doubts about the loyalty of others
- Belief in special powers, such as mental telepathy or superstitions
- Unusual perceptions, such as sensing an absent person’s presence or having illusions
- Dressing in peculiar ways, such as appearing unkempt or wearing oddly matched clothes
- Peculiar style of speech, such as vague or unusual patterns of speaking, or rambling oddly during conversations
People with schizotypal personality disorder are at an increased risk of:
- Other personality disorders
- Temporary psychotic episodes, usually in response to stress
- Problems with alcohol or drugs
- Suicide attempts
- Work, school, relationship and social problem
I was just recently diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder, melancholic personality disorder, and borderline personality disorder as well as generalized anxiety disorder and persistent depressive disorder and last ptsd.